In this article, I will try to describe about information security tips which is useful for any one while transacting on various communication devices / channels.
- Shoulder surfing is direct observation technique such as a looking over some one’s shoulder to get their passwords, PINs and other sensitive information
- Someone may even listen in to conversation while you give out your credit card number over phone
- So, you should never reveal your password in front of others because there may be chance of shoulder surfing
- Use secure socket layer and transport layer security to safeguard the communication.
- Use only protected access with VPN, SSL, or TSL technology.
- Restrict the access based on MAC addresses
- Make sure to turn off Wi-Fi connection when not in use to avoid unnecessary communication or transmission of data.
- Enable encryption when establishing Bluetooth connection with you PC
- Define a list of own trusted devices that can be connected to mobile phone or laptop through Bluetooth with encryption to avoid malicious downloads
- Reject all unknown pairing requests.
- Use long and difficult to guess PIN when pairing Bluetooth devices
- Retain your Bluetooth devise in a non-discoverable mode.
- Don’t install unknown or unsolicited software on your devices.
- These can place computer viruses or even open a ‘back door’ giving others access to your computer without your knowledge.
- If you want to install any software in your system, get a licensed version and install it on your computer.
- Use trussed websites for downloading any software
While using public system or cyber café:
- Always use secure PC in public places
- Check whether there are any key loggers installed in the system.
- Scan the system by using anti-virus software to filter viruses, worms, spyware and malware etc.
- Avoid sensitive information at public places such as internet centers.
Physical security tips:
- Don’t leave your laptop unattended at the airport, library, cafeteria or any public place.
- Make sure that you have to enter password to login to your laptop.
- Always keep your laptop with you while travelling.
- Avoid using your portable device in public areas and use non-traditional bags for carrying your laptop.
Secure your browser:
- Enable a pop-up blocker in your internet browser to improve the safety of your browsing.
- Some of the attackers use these popup window as special offer to install malicious code on your computers. To avoid all these, configure your browser to block the popups.
- Some of the browsers like internet explorer, Mozilla have inbuilt feature to block popups.
- Update your mobile phone firmware to the latest version
- There are a lot of benefits that you can get when you update your phone’s firmware, you may get some useful enhancement, bug fixes etc. also some issues that may be having with your phone can also get solved with firmware upgrades.
- Once your mobile has been updated you will notice all the menus are clear and often faster too.
- Monitor your credit card account statement for suspicious activity
- Maintain your credit card receipts to produce against transaction frauds. Check your receipt against your monthly statements.
I hope it will be of some help to the users, for more information / suggestions please feel free to comment.