This module on “FLY-ASH transportation using IoT” has been devised to overcome the disadvantages of the conventional methods which are used in transportation of fly-ash. This is mainly aimed to reduce the risk factors thereby making the shipping more efficient with moderate costs.
In India, fly ash has traditionally been viewed as an industrial waste. However, internationally, this industrial by-product derives value from the products that it substitutes.
Gainful applications of fly ash can be broadly categorized as follows:-
- Low value/ high volume: This is true, for example, in land and mine fills where the quality of fly ash is not important. However, in such cases, the price or value of reclaimed land may vary significantly depending on the location.
- High value/ low volume: Where the special characteristics of fly ash are used, for example, in treatment of wasteland acidic soils and their reclamation for agriculture, as soil stabilizer for embankments, etc.
- Medium value low / medium volume: The pozzolanic properties of fly ash are used in enhancing building materials including cement, concrete, and bricks.
- In addition to this, the costs for transportation are soaring.
Existing technology and disadvantages
Currently roads and railways are being used for the transportation of fly ash. It also requires more work force for unloading and managing the fly-ash.
- This existing method requires more cost for vehicles and personnel.
- Exposure to fly ash through skin contact, inhalation of fine particulate dust and ingestion through drinking water may well present health risks.
- Spills of bulk storage.
Proposed solution and advantages
The most prime focus of my proposed idea is the usage of IoT. IoT delivers on demand real-time services and assists in saving time, resources and even manpower. The impact of IoT technology is in several fields.
In this case, IoT is used to track the transportation of fly-ash. This is because a proper monitoring through sensors can ensure safety and will also avoid spills caused by heavy loads.
Here we use a variety of sensors and a central monitoring system that could help us to keep a track of fly-ash which is been transported. Several data interpretation tools are implemented in the sensor nodes. These can estimate temperature related quality losses, supervise sensor deployment and measurement intervals, and detect malfunctioning sensors.
- The cost of sensors is sloping down so the shipping will be made at a reasonable price.
- It requires less labor force to work on the field.
- This will also avoid destructions to the personnel and also the vicinity from being affected by toxic effects of the fly-ash exposure.
- As the number of consumer increases, the services could be made in less time in a more efficient way.
System Diagram and Components
(please refer the above link for the proposed system diagram)
Door latch sensor- To give information whether the door is closed or open.
Vehicle speed sensor- To give information whether the vehicle is in running within the controlled speed or not.
Moisture sensor- To check the moisture content of fly ash.
Cargo sensor– To check the loads are in right proportions.
Tyre pressure sensor– To check the inflation of the tyre in accordance with the load.
- Wireless network: To connect all the sensors to a single system.
- Centralized monitoring system: To receive the information from sensors and to sends signals to the driver in case of emergency.
- Cloud database: Here all the data are stored and several manipulation activities are carried out.
- The fly-ash is loaded into the IoT supported vehicle in wet state.
- Here different types of sensors are used for examining different parameters.
- The sensors in the network collect information and sends signals in a wireless carrier.
- These signals are received by the central monitoring system.
- The data are stored on a cloud database server.
- These data are analyzed and then the monitoring system sends back signals to the driver in case of any emergency.
- The driver need not be literate as the application will consist of symbols and will be displayed on the display panel of the truck.
In this design the results of several projects concerning the application of IoT in fly-ash logistics is consolidated. As a conclusion of this experience I would like to sum up the basic findings about sensor networks within the following hypotheses:
- Loss amid rushed heavy stockpiling and transport can be extensively lessened utilizing remote sensor systems joined with information translation apparatuses and choice bolster devices.
- The devices must be actualized locally. That is to say, that they must be modified on the little stage of a sensor hub and that they should be executed parallel on a few hubs. Focal count needs a lot of vitality for the correspondence of all the single information and it makes the net excessively helpless
- Practically, robustness of the system is the main issue. Sensor nodes can fail; they also can just vanish by being forgotten or stolen. For this reason, parallel and redundant structures are needed.
- The housing of the sensor nodes must stand humid surrounding and also mechanic stress such as mechanic impact by pressure and shock.
- Specific surrounding needs specific housings concerning humidity, temperature and mechanic stress. Specific deployments also need specific communication strategies to be able to communicate in difficult situations such as close iron walls and loading with water content.